Monday, November 17, 2014

Falcons Telling us that it's Raining

"Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!"

That's a phrase you don't hear everyday. In fact, I'm not sure you'd hear it once a month, but I digress.

If you're not familiar with the phrase, it simply means "do not give me one thing and try to tell me it's another, because I can see right through your little game." And I'm talking to you, Atlanta Falcons.

After Sunday's victory over division rival, Carolina Panthers, the Falcons are in first place in the NFC South... with a 4-6 record. If the season were to end today, the Falcons would be the 4th seed in the playoffs and hosting the current 5th seed, Green Bay Packers.

This is, of course, if the Falcons can hold on to make the playoffs.

The next four games, in order, are: VS Cleveland (6-4), VS Arizona (9-1), @ Green Bay (7-3), and VS Pittsburgh (6-4). Still think the Falcons can hold on to this division lead?

The only other competitor in this NFC South race is the New Orleans Saints. I'm going to count the Panthers out because they are a frustrated team and Ron Rivera doesn't seem like the coach to start a "1-0 this week" campaign. They also have Thomas Decoud at safety. That other NFC South team in Florida isn't worth mentioning.

Back to the Saints who have only 2 games remaining against teams with winning records: VS Baltimore (6-4) and @ Pittsburgh (6-4). If they can play the way they did against Green Bay (44-23 win in week 8) the Saints can win out, which would give them the 4th seed and possibly a second home game against Green Bay.

The Saints have been inconsistent at home this year, but have the leadership to turn that around while the Falcons have only beaten their division rivals, but do have some momentum after 2 road wins. So it's hard to make a prediction right now, but it will be an exciting finish in the NFC South this year.

Thanks for reading this blog! Follow me on twitter @Deacon_Schiele!

No comments:

Post a Comment